Churches and Convents of Goa
These monuments exerted great influence during 16th-18th centuries when development of architecture, sculpture, and painting took place with spreading the forms of Mannerist and Baroque art throughout the Asian countries. The Churches and Convents at Old Goa (Velha) from Portuguese rule are proud of western coast of India.
The Portuguese ruled Goad with Alfonso de Albuquerque conquering Goa in 1510 and until 1961. The colony of Goa was the resource of the enormous eastern Portuguese Empire though by 1635, their succession declined in Goa. The churches in Old Goa were used for the local population into conversion, communicating the superiority of the foreign religion. The interiors of these churches and convents are magnificent, with twisted Bernini columns, decorated pediments, profusely carved and gilded altars, along with multi-colored wall paintings. Local literate were involved in the construction of the churches that got plastered and finished with a lime whitewash.
With Tuscan exterior, Corinthian columns and raised platform that leads to the entrance, The Se Cathedral becomes another example of Renaissance architecture. The paintings in the church are crafted on wooden boards with floral designs, between panels. All statues including statue of Virgin Mary, and Jesus are carved in wood and then painted. Convent of Saint Francis of Assisi, which has become an Archaeological Museum, and remains of St Francis Xavier, are the best in terms of design and style. St Gagtan, our Lady of the Rosary, and the Tower of St Augustine has a front elevation decorated with lonic, Doric, and Corinthian pilasters. Despite most monuments existing in ruins now, they constitute an archaeological attention.